Tuesday 9 March 2010

Review post : Capsule and cosmeticROBOT

As I really don't have anything super exciting to tell about (Except that CARLY GOT HER VISA!! Congrats babe!) I'll do a review post.
Japanese music is such a passion of mine, my true love is electro and house music and there have been more and more J-electro groups popping up over the last year or so and this makes for a very happy Gaby! Japanese electro-pop has a style that is very very rarely heard in the west, same bouncy electro beats but with typically very cutesy Japanese voices over the top. I ADORE this combination of computer and kawaii. It breaks out of that "anime disco" soundtrack feel and becomes something you can really imagine dancing to in a Tokyo club (not that I know what that feels like yet!)

One of the superstars of this genre is, of course, Capsule. From their first single in 2001 they have evolved from more of a chilled sound into something very danceable and club-y.

Their latest album "Player" has been on constant repeat since I got it a few days ago. For some reason I was taken off guard by some of the tracks, while some of them are so perfectly "Capsule". I think the mix of this album is fantastic it shows they still experimenting with their style while keeping some tracks totally recognizable if you've heard any album previous.
I'll talk briefly about the tracks I really really enjoyed.
"Player" The title track for the album, WOW This feels like proper UK dance with a proper British MC (note: I don't actually know who the MC is but ME LIKEY) with a hard and dark back beat. Something to add to my dj list for sure. If I heard this in a club I would be dancing like a beast...lol



"I wish You" is a beautiful, clear track. I feel like I could just float away listening to this. I massive fan of that backwards sounding backing melody with the piano. Gorgeous.
"The Music" sounds like a slightly more commercial TECHPARA tack, which is great for someone like me who isn't a fan of ALL para music and doesn't para on a regular basis. This is something I can listen to easily and imagine myself doing some freestyle!

"I was Wrong" Wonderful lyrics, again something I could float away listening to. This track reminds me of Daft Punk's sound...maybe from the Homework album.

"Hello" Pure Capsule. Nuff said.

"Love and Lies" So summer-y and dancey. I feel like this song is trying to merge the different styles of this album. Great Capsule sound for the most part but they bring in a female MC towards the end! Some people are saying it sounds like Lady Sovereign but it's clearly not! Especially considering she said "It's the return of the best and my name is Roxanne"...get a clue!

I hear this album is #31 in the American chart for electro. It's fantastic to know that Capsule are appealing to a wider audience and hopefully there will be more J-electro groups forming. I've been reading some mixed reviews of this album, alot of people really don't seem to like it at all which I can understand, it is a very mixed album, some of the tracks are so so different to what we're used to hearing from a Japanese group...especially since some of the tracks have English MCing but I think if you're open minded this album is TOTALLY worth it. Like I say it's been on repeat ever since I got it!

Now my next review is of a new generation of "Perfume", named cosmeticROBOT. Heavily influenced by the pre-named trio, I believe this is their forth single (I haven't heard anything by this group before) , entitled "デジタル・LOVE" or "Digital Love". The title track is sweet but I find nothing really stood out for me...I wouldn't have a reason to replay it. However I like the second track "JUICY ~Give me kiss so JUICY~ (Miz Remix)" alot more. Bouncier and more fun this sounds more like something I could boogie to. Of course it's impossible NOT to compare them to Perfume and all I can say is "yeah...they're good" I definitely don't dislike this single and I can't dismiss them for sounding like Perfume coz as I say I love this style of bubblegum dance music and the more I can get the better. So yeah, this is worth a download, but obviously download Perfume first!
Also a quick note on their name...seriously?! I've heard Perfume songs have been used for cosmetic adverts, and obviously their voices are robotised....I dunno maybe I'm just reading too much into it but it seems so contrived.

30 days to go!

1 comment:

  1. Lovelovelove Capsule! If a day is getting me down I listen to Capsule or Epik High xx

    Awesome review lady.

    ReplyDelete