Sunday 28 February 2010

5 things I'll miss

Everyone seems to be doing this and as I have to keep my mind off worrying about my visa I thought I'd post about what I'm going to miss about living in England.

The thing I'm going to miss most is my friends and family, this just seems too obvious to put on this list! I'll just list the material and conventional comforts of home.

1) Koppaberg. Actually I haven't really done my research on this one but it seems highly unlikely that Japan would stock my favourite ever alcoholic beverage. The sweet sweet nectar that is Pear Koppaberg. It's awesome for 2 reasons, it tastes like pic n mix and it comes in pints.

2) New Look. Affordable (for me...I still think Top Shop is 99% full of overpriced shit) and great clothes. Tonnes of my clothes are from New Look and probably most of my shoes. When I'm in Tokyo, shopping for clothes and shoes may prove to be slightly more of a challenge. I'm not a big girl. I'm size 12, but I fear I will be considered XXXL in the 109 stores! Sad, but this just means I have to plan carefully what clothes to take with me, they'll need to last me but be easy to mix and match for different looks when I get bored.

3) The British summer. Sounds weird to say that I'll be missing the weather but summer in Britain is awesome! Hanging out in park with some booze and strawberrys, kicking a ball around with friends. I know I'm probably going to do this in Japan but it won't smell the same. Also the seaside! Every country has the seaside but there's only one British seaside! Fish and Chips don't taste the same anywhere else.

4) My own DVD's/Games etc. Bit weird I guess but not having my personal selection of movies and games that I can put on and play whenever I want is something I will miss. I know there will be a million other things to keep me amused but there's nothing than sitting in your own bed in your jimjams and wacking on a movie of your choice or settling down for a proper session of Twilight Princess.

5) British telly. Yep, pretty obvious I know but I'm gonna miss shows like Buzzcocks, Shooting Stars, Peep Show, and even Torchwood (before it betrayed me). Oh beautiful British comedy, tickling that funny bone that only you can reach. There is something so utterly bizarre about our sense of humour, something that other nations just cannot understand. I don't think I'll be finding the same sarcastic nonsense over the other side of the world.

This list took me a long time to come up with. I couldn't even think of many things I will miss. Maybe it will be interesting to do another post like this 6 months down the line when I realize what I really do miss.

Stay tuned!



2 comments:

  1. There are quite a few international/British style bars and pubs around Tokyo, selling international beers etc. If you're lucky you might find one that stocks Kopperberg.
    I saw a good one (didn't visit) that had the usual British beers and good prices in Hamamatsucho. Hope you can find some lol

    I don't think you'll have a problem with the clothes, the only thing that might cause a problem are skirts/dresses/trousers because of your height. Either way I reckon that you'll find somewhere you love just as much as New Look :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived over there I was a size 16. I lost a lot of weight and went down to a 14 and started buying XL clothes there. A 12 will be a large I believe as near the end of my stay I was in L clothes and 12s upon returning to the UK.

    You'll lose a lot of weight from just the different diet as I didn't exercise that much in Japan. So don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete